Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Trash or Treasure?

One man's trash is another man's treasure. ~ A line from the poem Garage Sale by poet Tom Zart

My parent's dog, Max, relishing Mom's clothes
My sister and I have spent quite a bit of time going through my mom's FOUR closets of clothes, shoes, purses, etc. Of course, one of the closets used to belong to my sister (Sis), and two belonged to me (I'm the youngest, so when Sis moved out, I moved into her old bedroom); but for the past 25 plus years, they belonged to Mom. Behind all the clothes, Sis and I have both found something of importance from our childhood. It's been quite a roller-coaster ride.

The funny thing is that I'm more sentimental than Sis, so I pile things up I want to keep and she just wants to give it all to Goodwill.

Trash or treasure?

Which brings me to the topic for this week: Think of something that was trash/junk to you and a treasure to someone else, or vice versa-- someone else's trash/junk as your treasure. Write a poem about the experience.

Farmer's Market, Des Moines, Iowa


You might even want to make it into a list poem.

Of course, you can just write a poem about trash, or a poem about treasure

Post your new poem to Mr. Linky and visit the others who have done the same. I can't wait to read everyone's offering!

*All photos belong to me (L. Kolp)

19 comments:

  1. Laurie, interesting topic. I am sure that it will inspire some fascinating poetry. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the prompt, Laurie! Looking forward to this week's poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice prompt Laurie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great prompt, Laurie. The words just poured out with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you... I enjoyed it as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great prompt! I had so many ideas, and then when I sat down to write - this one just pushed all the others aside and an old memory came back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good theme to ponder! Thanks, Laurie! :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great prompt! Enjoyed writing. My entry here:
    http://wwwdanu.blogspot.in/2014/07/the-treasure-lies-within.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was an excellent prompt, i was not sure how yo approach it. In the end i went for the idea that what one person considers treasure can be what another considers trash. One memory can be either good or bad. I hope it worked. Thank you Laurie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your prompt today Laurie.
    I know how hard it is to clean up our parent's homes. Keep the treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow so many people writing and linking! Great. I am behind now in reading after a day out and about burt will be around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just came back from a long flight and managed to scribble something down!! i hope you enjoy it!! will be sure to visit all the entries soon!! have a lovely week!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting prompt. I had fun coming up with a idea for this one - and toed-in a couple of times before an idea started to gel. Looking forward to seeing some other posts, when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Laurie. That definitely must have been emotional going through your mom's closets. Great prompt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fyi...a few people have mentioned to me that their comments are getting eaten when they try to comment on my site. Don't know what is going on, but they are not going to my spam folder...blogger is having issues I guess!

      Delete
  15. Great prompt. I could write a saga about this, as I can never throw packaging away. Like empty water bottles. Sad, I know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting prompt! It took me a while to decide which of the infinite treasures at home I could write about!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in. Old subject, new words.

    Thanks for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. very good prompt..i enjoyed it. thank you:)

    ReplyDelete

After you post your poem and comment, please take the time to visit poems of other poets! People will add poems throughout the week, so check back every couple days to catch what is new.