Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Unexpected

Life is full of surprises, good or bad, things we never thought would occur.

So this week I'd like you to write a poem about unexpected.

This could be an unexpected visit, present or offer. You might want to write about an unexpected object, person, feeling or situation.

Something, or someone, unexpected could be a good or a bad thing or a situation that seems one way at first but is ultimately different from what we anticipated. Just let your memory or inspiration lead you into unexpected waters.




"…to approach the stranger
Is to invite the unexpected, release a new force,
Or let the genie out of the bottle.
It is to start a train of events
Beyond your control…"

T.S. Eliot (The Cocktail Party)



Don’t Hesitate

If you suddenly and unexpectedly feel joy,
don’t hesitate. Give in to it. There are plenty
of lives and whole towns destroyed or about
to be. We are not wise, and not very often
kind. And much can never be redeemed.
Still, life has some possibility left. Perhaps this
is its way of fighting back, that sometimes
something happens better than all the riches
or power in the world. It could be anything,
but very likely you notice it in the instant
when love begins. Anyway, that’s often the
case. Anyway, whatever it is, don’t be afraid
of its plenty. Joy is not made to be a crumb.

—Mary Oliver



After writing your poem, post your link below. And in the spirit of community, visit others as well.

21 comments:

  1. Hello poets wherever you may be. Looking forward to your poems of the unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool...loved the prompt gabriella...mine will be up in the morning...
    i had to get permission from mary...ha...i wrote a bit of a prose/a story on the unexpected...it had been brewing in me since i began thinking of the unexpected...

    see ya then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, why am I not surprised at reading this prompt...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this prompt reminded me of two incidents...thank you Gabriella :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unexpected seems the usual for me now...so I just never know. Mom said it "keeps life interesting" and my answer was "sometimes I could go for less interesting" but then moms are usually right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Prompt and i found this tricky, so i had a go, not sure if i made it. smiles.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tales of the unexpected today...
    Thank you for the prompt and for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a newbie. Well this is my first Prompt:
    http://wwwdanu.blogspot.in/2014/07/an-unexpected-call.html

    Great prompt. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the prompt...enjoyed writing to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one, for me, took a while. There are just so many lovely, unexpected things in this world, I suppose . . . but that was a nice contemplation, I found.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't mean to be so late posting this but my poem is an explanation of sorts. LOL Actually looking for a photo to go with it gave me some other ideas. I realize my life has been so full of unexpected things -- hard to make a choice! I am off to see what others have written now. Glad to see so many have linked already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved the prompt Gabriella..i enjoyed it a lot..thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gabriella! You're clairvoyant. Perfect prompt for me this week. Love that Mary Oliver poem...joy is not made to be a crumb :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A prompt with endless possibilities this week! It took me a while to write my post, since unexpectedness is the basis of my life... I hope you all like what I came up with in the end!
    By the way, I loved the poems you chose, Gabriella!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, I went with my first thought. It was the thing I least expected years ago. Great possibilities in this prompt. I'll glean and comment later...after I sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  16. At the moment there's little room in my mind for anything else besides the tragic crash. Certainly unexpected.
    Thank you for giving a chance to express it and maybe share the feelings of overriding sadness and hopelessness with some others. Makes one's problems feel so small and insignificant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sadly, my mind, like jo-hanna's before me, is filled with this tragedy. It came close in my peninsula world. I needed to say something.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thank this blog for stretching my creative muscles. I have learned much and met many wonderful people.

    I can reply to each individual comment. Sometimes they have no return address but I appreciate all the input and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

After you post your poem and comment, please take the time to visit poems of other poets! People will add poems throughout the week, so check back every couple days to catch what is new.